Log In 2 Forums General Discussion LIVE CAREER WEBCHAT with Bukola Adisa: ['ASK ME ANYTHING'] Reply To: LIVE CAREER WEBCHAT with Bukola Adisa: ['ASK ME ANYTHING']

• Bukola Adisa

April 9, 2020 at 7:03 pm

This is a great question Chibby.

To the first question on how to motivate staff and manage their expectation on bonuses and pay in these trying times, I have always found that nothing beats transparency so be transparent about the challenges the organisation is facing, the pressures they are under and how management is working hard to mitigate this.

Also as a manager being empathetic is very critical. They need to know that we are all in this together and you have to let them know you understand the impact on them and make sure you are there as a sounding board to provide advice and counsel or if they have questions you can’t answer, then commit to helping them find it.

Lastly, you have to be fair. There is nothing as galling or grating as being told we are all taking a hit with reduced bonuses or pay rises only to find out through the office grapevine (and believe me, people will talk) that some people actually are getting bonuses and pay rises. Ensure your process is fair and to the extent possible, people are treated equally and fairly. Where there are exemptions e.g. promotions, then these should be openly communicated.

I NEED HELP WITH

Search any topic or instructor

We're constantly working on improving our search capabilities